Display Energy Certificates

Display Energy Certificates



All our surveyors are accredited and very experienced. We provide customers with a confidential and professional service.



Our service is bespoke. We listen to what you want and then discuss how we can best provide it. There is no one size fits all.



All our surveyors are accredited and insured and have PI insurance, we provide a second to none reliable service.

You will need a DEC if you’re in charge of a public building over 250 m2. You can, however, opt to have a DEC produced voluntarily. A DEC must be produced if the public building is occupied by public authorities or institutions that provide public services and regularly welcome members of the public into the building. The certificate needs to be kept in a visible prominent area and must be at least A3 in size. It also needs to be accompanied by the advisory report. The advisory report includes information about how the energy performance of the building may be improved. If the building is between 250 m2 and 1000 m2, the DEC and advisory report will stay valid for 10 years. Buildings over 1000 m2 need annual DECs, though the report remains valid for a decade.

At Go Property Reports, we have many years of experience to draw upon when it comes to producing DECs. We are experts when it comes to helping landlords and businesses to reduce their energy use and stay on the right side of the law. We are here to help you boost your energy-efficiency substantially and help you make more sense of your energy consumptions, whilst saving you money and helping you eliminate unnecessary costs. We offer comprehensive certificates for energy performance and more.


DEC stands for Display Energy Certificate. A Display Energy Certificate identifies actual energy use and compares it to the energy use of similar benchmark buildings. The operational rating tells us about the annual carbon dioxide emissions from the building. Any building using the same energy as the benchmark will have an OR of 100. The certificate gives a rating of A to G. A rated buildings have the lowest CO2 emissions, with G buildings having the highest. The figure of energy consumption is affected by factors like building fabric, insulation, lighting systems, cooling and ventilation.

This certificate differs from an EPC or Energy Performance Certificate as the way the building is used in reality is taken into account. This means buildings that have been built with high energy-efficiency in mind could still have DEC or operational ratings if a great deal of energy is wasted. The certificate also features information about the occupier, the building itself, a unique reference number, administrative details and older operational ratings.

When a DEC is produced, an assessor needs to complete various stages, including undertaking a visual inspection of the building, sourcing information about energy consumption for the previous year, assessing activities that take place in the building, identifying how many hours the building is in use and ask the occupant to fill in a questionnaire. Once the analysis is complete and the data has been entered, the DEC and advisory report can be produced. These can then be added to the Landmark Central Register.


To obtain a quote for a DEC please ring on 01695 372 024